Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Chief's Rookie Card

Johnny Bucyk #10 was the missing piece I needed to complete the 1957-58 Topps set of 66 cards. I had been holding off purchasing this final card because of the steep prices being asked for his rookie on eBay and other sites. (I'd also just spent a tidy sum on Glenn Hall's rookie from the same issue).

But I was alerted a few days ago about a new listing for this card at an asking price half of what I'd been seeing. It was in a condition and price range that matched my budget, tolerance and desire to get this set completed:

The other challenge I had in finding this card was the healthy number of autographed Bucyk rookies available on eBay. An autographed Bucyk rookie pushed the price even higher, and often represented a quarter to a third of the offerings up for auction.

A Canadian, Bucyk was a member of the Bruins' "Uke Line" with Vic Staskiuk and Bronco Horvath. My card, oddly enough, came from an eBay'er based in Germany. So go figure.

Coincidentally, the trivia question on the back of Bucyk's rookie card involved the Lady Byng Trophy. Bucyk would go on to win this award for "sportsmanship and gentlemanly play" in both 1971 and 1974.
Bucyk helped the Bruins win Stanley Cup titles in 1970 and 1972, retired with 556 goals and 1,369 points, and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment