Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Puck Candy by Pro Set

The 1991-92 Pro Set Puck set of 30 cards is not exactly difficult to find, but is scarce enough that you could overspend if you don’t exhibit a bit of patience and wait to find it at a reasonable price. I’ve seen them for as high as $30 and $40, and I’ve seen the #11 Wayne Gretzky single offered alone for the same price. I got my set for $12 after being declined on an earlier offer I’d made for $20…so I feel pretty good about this purchase.



Puck candy was a combination of chocolate, peanut, vanilla and caramel weighing in at 2.2 ounces. The black foil package included a three-card cellophane pack. The cards were never available in complete sets so had to be accumulated sugary piece by sugary piece. There were reportedly 1.5 million cards produced, so collectors could theoretically assemble 50,000 30-card sets. The product was probably a test, and distributed in the Northeast and U.S. markets where there were NHL teams.

I don’t ever recall seeing this product in the stores, and I can’t find a picture of the packaging.

August 2, 2017 UPDATE:



No comments:

Post a Comment